Ice cream sundaes are a longtime dessert classic – icy cool and easy to create for parents and kids alike. Another longtime dessert favourite is the cupcake. Whether it’s because of their small size and easy flavour customization or simply their nostalgic nature, cupcakes have quickly ascended the ranks to become the dessert of the moment. So with the cupcake trend here to stay, why not get creative and combine these two classics to make a delicious (and decadent) dessert your family and friends will love? Smucker’s, the go-to sundae specialists, have added their own tasty twist by turning two timeless treats, caramel apples and red velvet cake, into ice cream cupcakes.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
A peanut and caramel syrup coated delight with a surprise filling.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peeled apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Smucker’s Sundae SyrupCaramel Flavoured Syrup, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 3 cups (750 mL) vanilla ice cream; softened, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanuts, finely chopped
- 6 wooden sticks
In a medium bowl, combine the apples, syrup and cinnamon. Next, line six muffin tins with paper liners. Place half of the ice cream in each liner. Make an indent in the ice cream and fill with the peanut butter and apple mixture.
Freeze 10 minutes or until firm. Scoop the remaining vanilla ice cream on top. Sprinkle with peanuts and cover with syrup. Insert sticks into the cupcakes and freeze until firm, about two hours. Makes 6 caramel apple cupcakes.
Red Velvet Ice Cream Cupcakes
It’s easy to take this delicious and classic cupcake to a new level by turning it into a sundae.
- 6 (6 g each) chocolate cups
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Smucker’s Sundae Syrup Strawberry Flavoured
- Syrup, plus 1 tbsp (15 mL) for garnish
- 3 cups (750 mL) chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) vanilla ice cream, softened
- Sprinkles for decoration
First, line six muffin tins with chocolate cups. Swirl 1/3 cup (75 mL) of syrup into the chocolate ice cream and scoop the mixture into the cups. Freeze until firm. Next, swirl 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the syrup into the softened vanilla ice cream and pipe onto the chocolate ice cream. Decorate with sprinkles. Freeze until firm, about two hours. This recipe will make 6 delicious cupcakes.